What are the proofs of Hungarian citizenship?

The following are the proofs of Hungarian citizenship:

  1. A valid Hungarian ID card.
  2. A valid Hungarian passport. If your passport has expired, it still proves your Hungarian citizenship for one year following the date of its expiry.
  3. A valid Hungarian citizenship certificate.
  4. A certificate of naturalization, until proven otherwise.
  5. The registry of personal data and addresses.

Your data is included in the registry if you have a so-called address card or if you had a Hungarian personal number before. If you left the country after 1978, you may find your personal number on a document called "személyi lap" (personal page) or in your old Hungarian passport or ID booklet.

Hungarian birth or marriage certificates are no proofs of Hungarian citizenship.

How do I become a Hungarian citizen if...

a) I was born during the period when the Act on the Exclusion of Dual Citizenship was in force and I could only acquire Polish citizenship under the Act (3 February 1962 - 22 January 1994)

In this case you can obtain Hungarian citizenship by simplified naturalisation if you speak Hungarian. Hungarian language knowladge (good communication level) is one of the conditions for Hungarian citizenship under the simplified naturalisation procedure, so the information about the whole procedure is available only in Hungarian.  HERE

b) my parents or grandparent emigrated abroad as Hungarian citizens, but I was born in Poland or somewhere else?

The main principle of Hungarian citizenship law is the ius sanguinis ​(latin for right of blood), meaning that descendants of Hungarian citizens are Hungarian citizens themselves by birth (regardless of the country of birth or the number of generations living abroad). Consequently, if any of your parents or grandparents is a Hungarian citizen or was one when you were born, it is very likely that you are one yourself. You can apply for the verification of your Hungarian citizenship. It is irrelevant whether you speak Hungarian or not.

Some notable exceptions from this general rule:

  • Before October 1, 1957 a Hungarian woman lost her Hungarian citizenship if she married to a non-Hungarian citizen.
  • Before October 1, 1957 a child born from a non-Hungarian father and a Hungarian mother did not become a Hungarian citizen by birth. He or she may become a Hungarian citizen by a statement, but his or her descendants have to be naturalized.
  • If your Hungarian ancestor emigrated from Hungary before September 1, 1929, it is likely that his or her descendants were not born Hungarian citizens. You may be naturalized if you speak Hungarian. 

c)       I lost my Hungarian citizenship, or my parents/grandparents lost theirs?

You can become a Hungarian citizen by simplified naturalization, if you speak Hungarian. This situation usually arises as a ramification of the peace treaties that followed the First and Second World Wars. If you or your ancestors originate from the present-day territory of Hungary, it is more likely that either point a) or b) applies to you.

If you have lost your Hungarian citizenship for any of the reasons listed below, you might reacquire it by means of a statement, and your children and grandchildren may apply for naturalization if they speak Hungarian:

  • you were deprived of your Hungarian citizenship by virtue of Act X of 1947 and Act XXVI of 1948, of Act LX of 1948 on Hungarian Citizenship or of Act V of 1957 on Citizenship;
  • your Hungarian citizenship ceased by expatriation between September 15, 1947 and May 2, 1990;
  • you were a person obliged to resettle in Germany.

d)      my spouse is a Hungarian citizen and I speak Hungarian?

You can become a Hungarian citizen by simplified naturalization on condition that at the time of your submitting the application

  • you have been married for at least 10 years or
  • you have been married for at least 5 years and you had a child together.
  • and if you speak Hungarian.

e)      none of the above seems to apply to my case?

The examples above are typical cases we encounter in our work. The provided information is incomplete. If you are interested in Hungarian citizenship, please send as an e-mail to consulate.vao@mfa.gov.hu to obtain more information specific to your case.

How does Hungarian citizenship affect my Polish citizenship?

It does not, given that both Hungary and Poland accept dual (multiple) citizenship since 1994. 


Should you wish to submit a citizenship application at the consular office of the Embassy of Hungary in Warsaw, please contact the consular office via email at consulate.vao@mfa.gov.hu before booking an appointment.

In the subject of the email, please specify which application you intend to submit (verification of citizenship, application for citizenship certificate, reacquisition of citizenship by declaration, renunciation of citizenship).

In our response, we will send you all the necessary information along with the forms to be filled out so that you can come prepared for your appointment. Otherwise we reserve the right to refuse and reschedule those who come with an incomplete application or without an appointment.

Please note that citizenship applications can only be submitted by having a previously booked appointment. Instructions regarding appointment booking will be also sent via email.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.